Tobolsk, The City of Mendeleev

Not all the people, even Russian, are familiar with this city. It just a small city in the east of Siberia. The population in this city is just around one hundred thousand people. So tiny, but there is something interesting about this city, about the history, and also about the chemistry. Perhaps you will remember something if I mention Mendeleev, something comes into your mind? Hmm ok, so how about the table, the most famous table of all time, you probably have seen it before, at least once in your life, when you were studying chemistry in your school. Yeah, the Periodic Table, the greatest table in history. I know that you know it.

Tobolsk, is the city where Dmitri Mendeleev attended gymnasium (school), and he was born in a village near from there. So, we should agree that this city is meritorious to the development of chemistry in this world. The periodic table is one of the most invention in history.
Tobolsk from the top

If we talk about his past, oh it was so pathetic. Some sources said that he was the youngest of 17 siblings. At first they was ok until their father passed away and their factory destroyed by fire. They became poor. The mother took Mendeleev to Moscow, by horse, thousands of kilometers, to attend higher education, but he was rejected. They didn’t give up, they went to the other university in Saint Petersbureg, and fortunately he was accepted there. And the rest is history. So stop talk about him. Now I want to tell you about Tobolsk again.

So, I was so lucky, I got chances to go to Tobolsk, two times, and for free! The first one was from my groupin university, and the second one is from the English course where I helped my teacher to teach English. As I told you, Tobolsk is just a tiny city, so in this two times I visited Tobolsk, I almost visited all the tourist destinations there.

My favorite place there is the Tobolsk Kremlin, we can see the view of this city, the river, architecture, and anything, they were so beautiful. And yeah, since it is located in Siberia, so the weather was cold. I read that the coldest temperature recorded in Tobolsk is -51oC. Ok thanks, I don’t want to imagine how cold it would be. Around the Kremlin they have the Museum of Tobolsk History, from there I know that Tobolskused to be the capital of Siberia. It also was the second Russian settlement in Siberia after Tyumen.


Besides Kremlin, we also visited some of the churches, we did a master-class and made some artistic things from the clay. It was fun. Before we went home, we also crossed the Tobol River, yeah this is why the city called Tobolsk. It was very cold here. And the last, on our way back home, we stopped at another interesting place called Abakan. We can see a lot of cool and historical things, and also we could see a beautiful view there. Awesome.Here are some photos I took in Tobolsk. 






Just in case you are curious about Mendeleev with his famous table, I put this pictures, thanks to Wikipedia.



Komentar